WeChat - Do you know how to create a WeChat official account?Last updated by Camilla Rosa Silva [SSW] over 1 year ago.See history
WeChat is an all-in-one messaging app developed by Tencent, which also provides games, online shopping, and financial services. Users can get almost everything they need from there within the app, leading to its classification as a "Super-App". Due to these reasons, it’s risen to become the most popular social media in China.
There are different types of accounts on WeChat. Personal accounts are used by individuals, while businesses can create WeChat official accounts to stay in contact with their customers and post promotional information.
Want to register a WeChat Office Account for your company? Check the following steps:
Before registering a WeChat Official Account for business in China, make sure you have:
- A local company with a Chinese business license or a WFOE (Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise)
- A Chinese ID card with WeChat payment account
Here're the simple steps to create a WeChat Official Account.
- Go to WeChat Official Accounts Page, click 'Register Now' on the top right corner.
- Select an account type to continue.
There're 3 different types of WeChat Official Accounts - Subscription accounts, Service accounts, and Enterprise accounts. WeChat Mini-Programs are essentially apps that live within the WeChat ecosystem, are different from the other accounts.
WeChat subscription accounts focus on information and brand communication. They are used much like a daily news feed. They can publish once a day to subscribers and publish1-6 articles each time. All updates are sent to the users’ subscription folder with no push notifications.
Subscription accounts are the only type of WeChat Official Account that is open to individuals, such as bloggers and celebrities, as the others require a company business license. This type of WeChat Official Account is most suited to individuals and brands that are content-based or information-oriented, such as media publications.
Service Accounts can publish up to 4 times per month, with 1-6 articles each time. When the posts are published, the updates appear as push notifications in followers’ chat lists. Compared to subscription accounts, the posting frequency of service accounts is lower, but the visibility is higher due to push notifications. Verified service accounts can also register for WeChat Pay and set up a WeChat Store.
While subscription accounts and service accounts target external markets, WeChat enterprise accounts are primarily for internal communication and management. This makes this type of WeChat official account similar to Slack and Workplace by Facebook.
- Choose Subscription Account as an example (the register steps for other options are similar)
- Choose where your business is registered
- Select your account type
- Fill in the registration info
- Pay the verification fee of CNY￥300 (Approx. to AUD $60) to the specified account, waiting for 5-7 working days, and your WeChat Account is available. Login by your email and password on WeChat Official Accounts Page, you will go to your Office Account operation interface and start to use it.