ASP.NET 2 Migration using SSW Code Auditor
Migrating to ASP.NET 2.0 from ASP.NET 1.1 is as simple as opening the ASP.NET web solution in
Visual Studio 2005, but if the migration is done manually there are a couple of things to know before you start.
"Master Pages", a new feature of Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0, enable you to apply the same page layout
to multiple content pages in a Web application. Master Pages provide you with an easy method of
creating a consistent look and feel for a Web site.
Migrating to ASP.NET 2.0 involves following steps:
- Make changes on attributes in Page
- Add 'MasterPageFile' attribute in Page directive.
- Make change attribute name 'CodeBehind' to 'CodeFile' in Page directive
- Add 'Title' attribute and then move HTML title into title attributes
in the Page directive.
- Make changes on user controls
- Make change 'src' value for RandomTestimonial register tag to
- Remove old 'Register' directives for incTop and incBottom
- Remove asp comment lines
- Remove next lines up to inctop user control line.
- Add 'Content'
- Remove footer section
- Add closing Content tag
Figure : ASP.NET version 1.1 - Top section (Before Code
Figure : ASP.NET version 1.1 - Bottom section (Before Code
Figure : ASP.NET version 2 - Top section (After Code Auditor
Figure : ASP.NET version 2 - Bottom section (After Code
Figure : Code Auditor rules that we run